Eurodesk logo

Studying & Training in Europe

While Ireland has a lot to offer, sometimes you just find exactly what you're looking for in another country. As an Irish citizen, you are entitled to move freely within European Union countries without requiring a Visa, and this includes for education purposes.


Education Systems Explained

Here is some information on the education systems of the more popular countries to study in.

United Kingdom

The UK is the most popular destination for Irish students looking to study abroad. All full-time third level education applications should be sent to Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). The application process begins 12 months before you plan on studying. In England fees of up to £9,000 per annum are charged since October 2012, repayable after graduation. However you will not be assessed the same as a UK resident for maintenance grants. EU students who started their first full-time degree course in Scotland do not pay fees.


France has 83 government funded universities, which are very affordable to students at around €174. These universities only offer undergraduate courses taught through French. However, every year some of the 230 business schools offer programmes taught in English to international students.

These business schools require a fee of between €5,000 and €8,000 per year. Some institutions offer grants or other assistance. All colleges take applications directly.


Germany has over 355 third level institutions and 13,500 courses. Each of Germany's 16 states is responsible for its own higher education guidelines and rules. Many universities are members of Uni-Assist, an organisation that deal with international student applications. If your chosen institute is not a member, contact them directly.

Back to top


Studying in the UK




Study abroad booklet


Top Universities


Bachelors Portal


Courses through English

Eunicas is an independent application support service for Irish and UK students wishing to study abroad. You can look at colleges that offer courses through English. You can also search by discipline and find which countries teach your chosen subject through English. It outlines the fees involved in studying in these colleges, as well as a snippet of information about each city and EU country.

Study.EU - Information on universities and English-taught study programmes.

Top Universities - A list of of countries where you can study in in English in Europe and beyond

Bachelors Portal offers a big database of courses in many countries around Europe, and this list can be refined by courses taught through English.

Back to top


Grants & Scholarships

Information on hundreds of potential scholarship and grants opportunities is available on Scholarship Portal. You can enter your home country and can search by country and discipline.

International Education Financial Aid offers a database of aid available for international students

Education UK is run by the British Council, and offers many grants, bursaries and scholarships to EU and non EU residents looking to study in the UK.

DAAD deal with scholarships/grants in Germany.

Back to top


Scholarship Portal

International Education Financial Aid

Education UK




Qualifications Recognition



Recognising Qualifications

Each country is responsible for recognising qualifications from other countries. NARIC is the official EU-wide body that deals with academic qualifications recognition. ENIC-NARIC lists the contact points for each centre in the EU countries. It may be possible to have further education and training awards recognised as well as higher education and training awards.

Also check out Europass - an initiative which aims to help people make their skills and qualifications clearly and easily understood in Europe.

Back to top


Learning the Language

Ideally, the best approach when moving to another country is to know the language well before you go. To improve your skills or learn a new language, consider evening classes in your locality. ETB's and PLC colleges run language classes sometimes. Also search local listings on GumTree.

It is easier to learn when you are surrounded by people speaking the language. You may need help when you're living in your destination country. MyLanguageExchange and Europa-Pages are good directories of language sites and schools in many countries.

You can also learn online, with sites such as BBC Languages making it very easy.

Back to top


Education and Training Boards




BBC Languages



Erasmus+ Youth in Action

Erasmus+ Adult Education

Erasmus+ School Education


EU Programmes

Through EU-funded programmes, espacially Erasmus+ programme, EU citizens can study, train and gain work experience in Europe.

Erasmus+ for students enables students to study abroad for between 3 and 12 months in a participating university or college. This can be a great opportunity for learning, both in college and in improving language skills, intercultural skills and in self reliance.

Erasmus+ also provides vocational training opportunities in Europe, including work placement, language training and European training. Applications are made by organisations involved in vocational training and not by individuals.

Erasmus+ also offers opportunities for teachers and student teachers to take part in European training events, exchange programmes and transnational education projects.


Erasmus+ Youth In Action offers many opportunities for youth workers including:


Back to top